Sunday, January 06, 2013

It's Back to Work I Go

I used to love my job. I loved getting up and going into work (almost) every morning. I could see myself doing it for the next 30 years.

Then I had a kid.

An adorably sweet, loveable and always happy little boy who's got his mama's eyes and his grandfather's copper hair.

And suddenly, my priorities changed.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my job. It's just so hard to get up in the morning and leave my baby behind. Especially when he's laughing away because he learned to wave good bye. THAT is the definition of heartbreak.

And this week was "easy", he was home with Jason. Tomorrow is the real challenge. He starts going to his babysitter. I don't know how I am going to do it, dropping my baby off with a complete stranger. 

But I will manage. Why? Because I am a mom. It's in the job description. I will shed a tear or two, but I will remain strong. Because going back to work is what is best for our family right now. 

By going back to work, I am helping to give him a roof over his head, food in his big belly, plenty of toys to play and learn with, and most importantly, providing him a future. I am beyond lucky to live in a country that allowed me the opportunity to stay home for a year. I have plenty of mama friends who went back to work as early as 6 weeks. The lucky ones went back at 12.  If they can do it, so can I (especially since my "baby" is one step away from toddlerdom).

In a perfect, easy world, I'd be a full-time stay at home mom. And I think I'd be good at it. However, for now at least, I must work.

To all the moms, whether you stay-at-home or work, I salute you!

Oh and please wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I applaud all stay at home moms. I really don't know that I could do that. I love my kids, but I need my adult time, too!

    ReplyDelete